Data Processing Agreement
Marine Technology Society Privacy Statement
May 24, 2018
The Marine Technology Society (MTS) is committed to protecting your privacy and we honor your right to make choices about the information you share with MTS. We want you to be familiar with how we collect, use and disclose information. This Privacy Statement describes MTS practices in connection with information that we collect through our website and other company owned digital assets by MTS from which you are accessing this Privacy Statement (respectively, the “Site”, “Social”, “Email”, and “App”, of which will be referred to as “digital assets”) in accordance with applicable privacy laws including, where applicable, the EU General Data Protection Regulation EU 2016/679 (“GDPR”) and other European data privacy laws and applicable US privacy laws. Only digital assets under the MTS brand owned by MTS, including third party providers and those specifically used to market MTS, its services and value, are subject to this online privacy statement.
By using the digital assets and providing Personal Information to MTS, you agree to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Statement, as amended from time to time.
Data Collected and Method of Collection
MTS collects general and personal data from:
- Users who provide details to MTS;
- Participants who register for meetings and events organized by MTS;
- Users of MTS’ websites; and
- Third parties (such as online service provider or single sign on authority)
Following the receipt of data, an electronic profile is created in MTS proprietary tools for each person or entity (the “Contact Profile”).
MTS collects this information for the Contact Profile:
- Full Name;
- Email Address;
- Telephone or fax number;
- Job title;
- Your organization or company of employment;
- Your country location or location of choice;
- Your Technical Areas of Interest; and
- Other comments added to the Contact Profile.
Information Collected Automatically
When you visit the Site, we may collect certain non-personal information from you, including your Internet Protocol (IP) address, MAC address, browser type, operating system, device identifying information, the specific web pages visited during your connection, and the domain name from which you accessed the Site. In addition, we may collect information about your browsing behavior, such as the date and time you visit the Site, the areas or pages of the Site that you visit, the amount of time you spend viewing the Site, the number of times you return to the Site and other clickstream data. We may also use non-personal or aggregated information for statistical analysis, research, and other purposes.
Do Not Track
Do Not Track (DNT) is a privacy preference that users can set in some web browsers, allowing users to opt out of tracking by websites and online services. At the present time, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has not yet established universal standards for recognizable DNT signals and therefore, MTS and the Site do not recognize DNT.
What are cookies?
A cookie is a small file placed onto your device by your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the Service or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the Service more useful to you. Cookies can be “persistent” or “session” cookies.
- to enable certain functions of the website
- to provide analytics
- to store your preferences and personalize the content
- to improve the user experience
- to enable advertisements delivery, including behavioral advertising
- to share on social networks
We use both session and persistent cookies on the Service and we use different types of cookies to run the Service:
- Essential cookies – We may use essential cookies to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts.
- Third-party cookies – In addition to our own cookies, we may also use various third-parties’ cookies to report usage statistics of the Service, deliver advertisements on and through the Service, and so on.
What are your choices regarding cookies?
- For Internet Explorer™: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- For Safari™: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201265For Chrome™ : https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
- For Firefox™: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored
- For Opera™: http://help.opera.com/Windows/10.20/en/cookies.html
Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, some features of the MTS website may not work properly, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.
Where can you find more information about cookies?
- AllAboutCookies: http://www.allaboutcookies.org/
- Network Advertising Initiative: http://www.networkadvertising.org/
Purpose of Data Collection
MTS collects your personal data to fulfill its contractual obligations, its statutory obligations and/or the legitimate interests of MTS and for other purposes for which MTS has a lawful basis under applicable laws and regulations. MTS uses the data collected to provide, maintain, protect and improve the overall quality of its services. Data collection is also meant to protect MTS and its users. MTS does not collect more data than is necessary to fulfill such purposes.
In addition to creating Contact Profiles, MTS uses your data for the following purposes and for which you give your consent:
- To MTS’ third party service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, infrastructure provision, IT services, customer service, email delivery services, and other similar services to enable them to provide services.
- To third parties such as agents and distributors to facilitate the sale and distribution of MTS services which may include marketing communications.
- To identify you to anyone to whom you send messages through the Site.
- To a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of MTS business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- By you, when you participate in features on an MTS digital asset that provide the opportunity to interact with MTS and others (for example a blog, message board, messaging functionality, chat functionality, profile or other social media). When you use these features, you should be aware that any information you submit, including your name, location and e-mail address, may be publicly available to others. We are not responsible for any information you choose to submit through these features and we strongly discourage you from disclosing any sensitive Personal Information (such as health or credit card information) through these features. If you use these features, your Personal Information may remain on the digital asset even after you cease use of the digital asset.
- With your consent, MTS may use your data to personalize your experience on the MTS website, to send you marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you, including information about our services, case studies, thought leadership or whitepapers, blog updates, newsletters, membership renewal information etc. For example, MTS uses third party service providers to present services and offers tailored to the preferences and interests demonstrated by your online activity over time.
- MTS may use your data as MTS believes to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce MTS’s terms and conditions; (e) to protect MTS’s operations; (f) to protect MTS’s rights, privacy, safety or property, you or others; and (g) to allow MTS to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that MTS may sustain.
MTS will ask your consent before using data for a purpose other than those that are set out in this Statement subject to mandatory laws.
Duration of Storage
General and personal data will be kept by MTS only as long as reasonably necessary to achieve the purpose for which it is collected, taking into consideration its need to answer queries or resolve problems, to provide improved and new services and to comply with legal requirements under applicable laws or with inquiries from clients on past events or travel activities. In any event, MTS will retain general and personal data for a maximum period of one year after your membership has elapsed or otherwise, subject to any specific legal requirement. Thereafter, MTS will delete (or otherwise erase, de-identify or pseudonymise or equivalent) any such personal data except as required or permitted by applicable law or regulation. You may cancel/delete your MTS account by sending an email to email@example.com.
Location of Storage and Controller of Database
The Contact Profiles that MTS maintains are stored in a cloud-based central database at a third-party provider’s location in the United States. The purpose and content of the MTS central database are determined by MTS.
You must ensure that the data you provide us with are:
- truthful; and
- compliant with any applicable laws.
In particular, since MTS will mainly use email communications with you, you are required to notify us of any modification of your email address. Alternatively, you can directly update your Contact Profile.
MTS is committed to protecting the privacy needs of children and we encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities. MTS does not target the digital asset to children less than thirteen (13) years of age or knowingly collect information from children for the purpose of selling products or services without verifiable parental consent. If you believe that a child has provided personal information to us, please contact us promptly as described below, and we will endeavor to investigate and delete such information from our systems.
Transfer and Communication of Data
Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or where we have engaged a service provider, and by using the digital asset, you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence which may not have adequate data protection rules. Where your personal data is processed by third parties outside the EEA, MTS will ensure appropriate safeguards are in place to adequately protect it, as required by applicable law. You hereby agree and give your consent to MTS to transfer and communicate your data as follows:
a) Transfers within the MTS group: Transfers are made throughout MTS and its subsidiaries to support its activities and/or services. Its subsidiaries, in turn, are not permitted to share your personal data with other non-affiliate entities, except as described herein or otherwise permitted by applicable law or regulation.
b) Regulatory transfers: MTS may be required by law to transfer data to governments and regulatory and/or supervisory authorities.
Electronic transfer of data
If you visit the MTS website your data will be transported via an open publicly accessible network. The data might therefore be transmitted across national borders even if you and MTS are located in the same country. This involves notably the risk that your data may be intercepted and read by third parties, allowing such third parties to infer an already existing or future business relationship between you and MTS.
Furthermore, you are notified that information you transmit or allow to be transmitted to you by MTS via an electronic medium, in particular via e-mail, SMS, contact forms, etc. are usually unencrypted and therefore neither confidential nor secure. Even in the event of an encrypted transmission, sender and recipient remain unencrypted in each case. Third parties may therefore be able to infer an existing or future business relationship between you and MTS.
If you provide MTS with personal information, your personal data may be transferred by MTS to countries whose data protection laws may be different from, and less stringent than, those in your country of residence as set forth above. Your personal data may in particular be transferred to the United States. You are hereby notified that your personal data might be accessed by governmental authorities in such countries (in particular by US authorities).
Security and Organizational Measures
To ensure the safety of your data on the MTS website and systems, MTS has implemented appropriate technical, contractual, administrative, physical and organizational measures to protect your personal data from loss, destruction, unauthorized access, accidental or unlawful disclosure and manipulation. These measures are subject to continuous development in accordance with technological progress and are periodically reviewed to comply with all applicable privacy laws. However, we cannot and do not guarantee the security of your personal data and therefore cannot assume any liability in this respect.
Only authorized MTS staff, third party companies’ (i.e. service providers) staff or our clients’ authorized staff (who have contractually agreed to keep all information secure) have access to your personal data. All MTS staff who have access to your personal data are required to adhere to the staff confidentiality regulations and all third-party employees who have access to your personal data have signed non-disclosure agreements. In addition, data transfer agreements are in place with third-party companies that have access to your personal data to make sure these data remain secure.
In accordance with applicable data protection laws and regulations, you have a right to request access to, rectification of your Data.
To contact MTS with questions or issues about MTS data processing, you should contact the Data Protection Officer at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
MTS gives you many choices regarding MTS use and disclosure of your personal data for marketing purposes. By contacting MTS at the above-mentioned e-mail address, you may at any time opt out from receiving future electronic marketing messages from MTS and request that we not share your personal data with unaffiliated third parties for their marketing purposes. MTS will comply with your request(s) in this respect. Please note that if you opt-out as described above, MTS will not be able to remove your personal data from the databases of unaffiliated third parties with which MTS has already shared your personal data (i.e., to which we have already provided your personal data as of the date that we implement your opt-out request). Please also note that if you do opt-out of receiving marketing-related messages from MTS, we may still send you important administrative messages, and you cannot opt-out from receiving administrative messages.
European Union privacy rights
If you are an individual protected by the GDPR you may have certain rights as a data subject under the GDPR relating to the personal information we hold to: (i) check whether we hold personal information about you and to access such data (in accordance with our policy); (ii) request the correction of personal information about you that is inaccurate; (iii) have a copy of the personal information we hold about you provided to you or another controller where technically feasible; (iv) request the erasure of your personal information; and (v) request the restriction of processing personal information concerning you.
To request information about or avail yourself of those rights, please send an email to email@example.com with “GDPR Request” in the subject line. In the email please describe, with specificity, the GDPR right you are requesting assistance with. Please note additional information may be requested prior to initiation of a request and that MTS reserves the right to charge a fee with respect to certain requests. Upon MTS’s completion of its review you will be notified if your request has been granted, denied, or exemptions apply.
You may make a complaint in accordance with applicable privacy laws to a supervisory authority.
California privacy rights
Under California Civil Code Section 1798.83 (also known as S.B. 27), if you are a California resident and your business relationship with MTS is primarily for personal, family, or household purposes, you may request certain data regarding MTS’ disclosure, if any, of personal information to third parties for the third-parties’ direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Request for California Privacy Information” in the subject line. You may make such a request up to once per calendar year. If applicable, we will provide you, by email, a list of the categories of personal information disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, along with the third parties’ names and addresses. Please note that not all personal information sharing is covered by S.B. 27’s requirements.
We ask that you not send MTS, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the digital asset or otherwise to MTS.
Updates to this Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement is a “living document” and will be subject to change. Any changes to this Privacy Statement will become effective when we post the revised Privacy Statement on the digital asset. Your use of the digital asset following these changes means that you accept this and future revisions of the Privacy Statement.
If you have any questions or concerns about this Privacy Statement or about the use of your personal information, please feel free to contact us by email at email@example.com or write to:
Marine Technology Society
1100 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20005