Oceans In Action
Join us for Oceans In Action 2021, an in-person event highlighting how marine science and technology research efforts are integrated into operational missions, results, and decision-making tools. Featuring an event center where we can socially distance if necessary, this year’s event will also highlight results of the Advanced Naval Technology Exercise (ANTX) vignettes that took place in the Gulf of Mexico in 2020, as well as details on NOAA’s increased support to that program.
New to our program – the Port Security Summit hosted by the Port of Gulfport through the University of Southern Mississippi’s Mississippi Defense Initiative (MDI), a grant from the Office of Local Defense Community Cooperation.
WHEN: August 30 – September 2, 2021
WHERE: Mississippi Coast Coliseum and Convention Center, Biloxi, MS. Ballroom A.
What’s Oceans in Action All About?
It’s the premier Gulf Coast regional marine technology event focusing on emerging technologies – bringing together federal, state, local, and private organizations for presentations, business-to-business/business-to-government meetings, exhibits of the latest technology, and pier-side demonstrations in association with the Advanced Naval Technology Exercise Gulf Coast and Port of Gulfport. This year, details on the programs associated with the newly awarded Gulf Coast Tech Bridge will be highlighted.
The newly added Port Security Summit, hosted by the Port of Gulfport, Mississippi, will examine key security and logistic measures needed to transport cargo as one of 17 strategic seaports in the nation, highlighting emerging technology within the maritime and port security industry. With increased traffic and cargo moving through ports each day, ports are particularly vulnerable to security threats, creating the need for a wide range of security tools from cybersecurity to physical security to defend and reduce the impact of potential threats to port operations.
- New this year: Port Security Summit and introducing the new Gulf Coast Tech Bridge
- Great pier-side demonstrations and ANTX vignettes
- Updates by local federal and state agencies on their missions and technology needs and programs
- Talks on new and developing technologies
- In-room exhibit tables
- One-on-one Business-to-Business and Business-to-Government meetings (if conditions allow)
- Break time to network
Hear from Local and Regional Agencies (Planned)
- Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command
- Naval Research Laboratory – Stennis Detachment
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Environmental Protection Agency’s Gulf of Mexico Program
- Updates on Mississippi’s Blue Economy, including:
- Ocean Enterprise Facility Construction
- Gulfport Blue Economy Innovation District
- Singing River Innovation Hub
- Newest developments at the University of Southern Mississippi’s classes and programs in ocean engineering, unmanned systems, aquaculture, and others
- State of Mississippi efforts and programs
- Additional presentations from local collaborative groups and emerging technologies
Oceans In Action
Opening Monday August 30, 1:00pm – 5pm
Tuesday, August 31, 8am – 5pm
Wednesday, September 1, 8am – 5pm, including in-water demonstrations at the Port of Gulfport
Port Security Summit
Thursday, September 2, 8am – 5pm
Exhibit tables available for $500. Includes two full registrations to the event. All tables in same room as technical program. Email MTS’s Kristina Norman (email@example.com) to reserve your table (automated registration will be available early March).
Early bird (through July 30, 2021): MTS and MSET Members $200, Non-Members $300, Students $25
After July 30: MTS and MSET Members $300, Non-Members $400, Students $25
As part of your registration, you will be asked if you require a hotel stay and the dates required. Once this information is compiled, we will arrange for per diem rates at a local hotel. If you plan to stay in a local hotel, please register no later than July 30.
The Gulfport/Biloxi Airport is the closest airport to the workshop. Alternatives include:
- New Orleans Airport (1.5-hour drive – car rental is the best option – there is no shuttle and Uber/taxis are very costly, if available.)
- Mobile Airport (1.5-hour drive – car rental is the best option)
The Mississippi Coast Convention Center is less than 10 miles from the Gulfport/Biloxi airport, and is located at 2350 Beach Blvd, Biloxi, MS 39531. Exiting the airport, take I-49 South to Hwy 90, then left (going east) for just less than 8 miles. The Convention Center is on the left. Taxis or Ubers are available. Information on the hotel will be provided at a later date.
Reach marine technology companies, government agencies, educators, and researchers. Become a sponsor of Oceans In Action. For the benefits associated with each sponsorship level, please click here.
- Exhibit Table – $500
- Internet Access Sponsor –$1200
- Break Sponsorship – $2,000
- Lunch Sponsorship – $8,000
- Bronze Sponsorship – $2,500
- Silver Sponsorship – $5,000
- Gold Sponsorship – $10,000
Contact Laurie Jugan, firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about sponsorship. If you are ready to sponsor and want to secure your opportunity, contact Kristina Norman (email@example.com). Online registration for sponsors coming early March. Additional information for confirmed exhibitors will be available at a later date.
Online registration for this event will be posted in early March.
Thank You to Our Event Partners:
Port of Gulfport
Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
USM’s Mississippi Defense Initiative